
“With all due respect…” – Simon Jordan reacts to Daniel Farke’s striking Leeds United remarks
Leeds United manager Daniel Farke stated last week that he expects strong backing this summer after successfully securing the club’s Premier League status.
The Whites have only one league fixture remaining, with survival already guaranteed under Farke. Relegation has not been a concern for Leeds in their last two matches, marking a hugely impressive achievement for both the manager and the recruitment team, who assembled a squad capable of thriving this season.
Now, Farke is already outlining ambitious plans for the future. The German has no intention of standing still or allowing Leeds to become satisfied with merely finishing 17th every campaign.
Daniel Farke’s message to Leeds United and the 49ers made clear
As supporters repeatedly sang Farke’s name during the victory over Brighton on Sunday, it further highlighted how highly regarded he has become at Elland Road.
It also reinforced the comments he made ahead of the match. Farke reflected on the work he has done so far while stressing that simply surviving in the Premier League cannot be the long-term ambition. He insisted Leeds must approach this summer with the same determination if they want to progress beyond survival.
“We have had one good Premier League season in the last 25 years — the season with Marcelo Bielsa — and we failed to build on it. You have to improve and evolve. That’s what I stand for, so it’s important we have these discussions internally,” Farke said on Friday.
The comments came across as a bold declaration of intent from the Leeds boss. His tone suggested that anything less than another major summer rebuild would not meet his expectations.
How the 49ers respond publicly remains unclear, but the substance of Farke’s argument is difficult to challenge. Whether those opinions should have been expressed so openly before the season has ended is another matter entirely.
“It’s an interesting one” – Simon Jordan gives his verdict on Farke’s comments
Former Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has since shared his thoughts on Farke’s remarks, looking at the situation from both perspectives.
Jordan focused particularly on how Leeds’ owners may interpret the manager’s public stance.
“They still spent £100 million,” Jordan said live on talkSPORT. “It’s an interesting situation because he kept quiet earlier in the season when many people doubted whether he could keep Leeds in the division. Balancing a manager’s ambitions with what is financially sensible for the football club is always difficult.
“I’m sure he has already had these conversations privately with the owners, and as an owner I’d expect him to tell me: ‘I’ve proven what I can do, and my ambitions are greater.’
“Maybe he’s setting the tone early while his reputation is strong. He’s positioned himself well as a manager who has exceeded expectations, won over the supporters, and tapped into the belief that Leeds United are a massive club that should be aiming higher.”
Although Jordan believes Farke may be using his current popularity to strengthen his position, he agreed with the overall message. However, he questioned whether making those comments publicly was the best approach.
“I’d suggest there’s every chance the people running Leeds — who are experienced owners — already understand what’s required for success,” Jordan continued. “They’ll decide alongside the manager what level of investment is necessary to stabilise the club.
“That’s the fine line between keeping these conversations private or playing to the crowd. Leeds fans naturally hear this and think: ‘The manager is absolutely right — this club should be aiming much higher.’
“He absolutely should have ambition. But I’m not sure, with respect, that he has built enough authority yet to push the message in that manner.”
Daniel Farke fully justified in demanding an ambitious summer
Farke is completely entitled to make these demands.
The 49ers will likely agree with much of what he has said. The Leeds boss referenced the decline following Marcelo Bielsa’s successful spell in 2021/22 — a collapse the current ownership group witnessed firsthand after Andrea Radrizzani and Victor Orta failed to properly support the club’s most influential manager in decades.
That mistake cannot be repeated. If everyone at the club shares the same ambition moving forward, then Leeds are heading in the right direction. Farke’s comments only become problematic if he oversteps boundaries or if the ownership group are unable to invest significantly — something most supporters believe will not be the case.
The challenge for Farke is balancing ambition with appreciation. Supporters want to hear a manager speak boldly about the future, but it is also important to recognise that the 49ers have already backed him heavily. Leeds spent aggressively this season, and there is every expectation that the club will continue to invest strongly in the months ahead.




